Paul R. Kiesel
Paul Kiesel received his Juris Doctorate from the Whittier College School of Law in Los Angeles in 1985. In 2005, he was awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Law from Whittier Law School. His practice is devoted to representing consumers in personal injury, class action, environmental, and toxic tort litigation.
Mr. Kiesel has repeatedly been selected as one of the top plaintiff attorneys in the State of California and the country. The Los Angeles Business Journal recognized Mr. Kiesel as one of the Top 50 Trial Lawyers. The Daily Journal named Mr. Kiesel one of the 100 most influential attorneys in the State of California. He was also selected as one of the top 500 attorneys in the United States by Law Dragon. In addition, Mr. Kiesel is rated A.V. (highest rating) by Martindale-Hubbell.
Paul Kiesel is very active in the legal community. He was the president of the Los Angeles County Bar Association for 2015-2016 and was the past Chair of the Litigation Section. He was appointed by former Chief Justice Ronald George to the State of California Judicial Council Civil and Small Claims Advisory Committee. He served on the Board of Governors for the Consumer Attorneys of California and the Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles for over 25 years. In recognition of his service, Mr. Kiesel was elected an emeritus (lifetime) board member of both organizations. From 2001-2005, Mr. Kiesel sat on the Board of Governors of the Association of Business Trial Lawyers. Mr. Kiesel was the Co-Chair of the Open Courts Coalition, a bipartisan committee of attorneys from throughout California advocating full-funding of the civil justice system. Members of the Open Courts Coalition include the Honorable Carlos Moreno, former Governors Gray Davis and George Deukmejian, Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaragosa, and former California Attorney General John VanDekamp. Recently, Mr. Kiesel was named a Senior Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, a trial lawyer honorary society composed of less than one-half of one percent of American lawyers, dedicated to promoting superior advocacy, professionalism and ethical standards in the legal profession.
Mr. Kiesel has extensive experience in complex litigation, including environmental, construction defect, product defect, and pharmaceutical actions. Mr. Kiesel served as national Lead Counsel in the federal Multi-District Litigation against Glaxo Smith Kline for injuries caused by its pharmaceutical drug, Avandia. There were over 20,000 personal injury cases, a half-dozen consumer class cases, and several state actions pending in the Avandia MDL. Mr. Kiesel served as Liaison Counsel in the litigation arising out of the 2008 Chatsworth Metrolink crash that killed 24 individuals and injured over 100 people. As Liaison Counsel, Mr. Kiesel coordinated the successful resolution of the cases for $200 million, the maximum recovery allowed by law. Mr. Kiesel was Liaison Counsel for the Porter Ranch Environmental claims affecting over 38,000 individuals. The matter resolved in 2022 for $1.8 billion. Mr. Kiesel is also Co-Lead Plaintiffs’ Counsel of the JUUL Labs Product Cases.
Currently, Paul Kiesel represents many individuals and their families in significant personal injury and wrongful death cases. Among his many clients, Mr. Kiesel represented former Governor Gray Davis in a challenge to the qualification of the 2003 recall election.
Mr. Kiesel is also a frequent presenter for continuing legal education programs. As an early-adopter of technology in the practice of law, Mr. Kiesel has frequently written and spoken on technology-related subjects. In addition, he co-authored two legal treatises for Lexis Nexis, “California Pretrial Civil Procedure” and “California Civil Discovery.”
Whittier College School of Law, Los Angeles, California
Juris Doctorate with Distinction (1985) (Dean’s List 1982-85, Law Review)
Connecticut College, New London, Connecticut
Bachelor of Arts (1982, Political Science / United States Government)
State Courts of California
State Courts of New York
Courts of the District of Columbia
United States District Courts for the Central, Northern, Southern, and Eastern Districts of California
Kiesel Law LLP, Beverly Hills, California, Partner (2013 to present)
Kiesel, Boucher & Larson LLP, Beverly Hills, California, Partner (1999 to 2013)
Kiesel & Larson, Beverly Hills, California, Principal (1993 to 1999)
Slatter, Slatter & Kiesel, Beverly Hills, California, Partner (1989 to 1993)
Slatter & Slatter, Beverly Hills, California, Associate Attorney (1985 to 1989)
California State Bar Association (1985 to present)
Association of Business Trial Lawyers Board of Governors (2001 to 2005)
California Open Courts Coalition, Co-Chair (2011 to present)
- Bipartisan committee which advocates fully funding the California civil justice system; members include former California Governors Gray Davis and George Deukmejian, former California Supreme Court Justice Carlos Moreno, Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, former California Attorney General John Van de Kamp, and Consumer Attorneys of California President Niall McCarthy.
Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles (Formerly the Los Angeles Trial Lawyers Association)
- Board of Governors, Emeritus Member (2003 to present)
- Board of Governors, Member (1991 to 2003)
- Board of Governors, Emeritus Member (2003 to present)
- Board of Governors, Member (1988 to 2003)
- Automobile Committee, Member (1995 to 1996)
- Legislative Committee, Deputy Chair (1995)
- Automotive Legislation Committee, Chair (1994)
- Parliamentarian (1993 to 1994)
- Political Action Committee, Co-Chair (1988 to 1994)
District of Columbia Bar (2002 to present)
Lexis-Nexis California Advisory Board (currently)
Los Angeles County Bar Association (LACBA)
- Litigation Section Chair (2008 to 2009)
- Executive Committee (2001 to present)
- Secretary (2005 to 2006)
- Treasurer (2006 to 2007)
Litigation Counsel of America
- Senior Fellow (2015 to present)
Los Angeles Superior Court Alternative Dispute Resolution Panel (1991 to present)
Los Angeles Superior Court Bench and Bar Committee (2000 to present)
Los Angeles Superior Court Complex Litigation Court Bench & Bar Committee Chair (2005 to 2007)
- Member (2001 to present)
Pacific Hills High School, West Hollywood, California Board of Trustees (2008 to 2011)
- Board of Trustees (1997 to 2000)
- Alumnus Trustee (1995 to 1997)
Whittier College of Law
- Board of Visitors, Vice Chair (1993 to 1995)
- Board of Visitors, Member (1992 to 1999)
CLASS ACTIONS AND COMPLEX LITIGATION
Abrica v. Tosco et al., L.A.S.C. Case No. BC239882
- Appointed Lead Counsel (2002). Mass tort toxic refinery fire, resolved.
Algario et al. v. Eli Lilly and Company et al., L.A.S.C. Lead Case No. BC347855
- Appointed Lead Counsel (2006). Class action to recover for injuries resulting from ingestion of the medication Zyprexa. Resolved.
Anderson v. Toshiba America Incorporated, L.A.S.C. Case No. BC299977
- Counsel for the plaintiffs (2003) in class action alleging product defects. Resolved.
- Serving currently as National Lead Counsel in federal multi-district litigation involving over 40,000 personal injury cases, a half dozen consumer class cases, and several state actions against pharmaceutical corporation GlaxoSmithKline for injuries caused by use of its product Avandia.
Black v. Blue Cross, L.A.S.C. Case No. BC 250339
- Appointed Lead Counsel (2001) in certified class action against health insurer for improper mid-year contract modifications. Resolved.
California Gubernatorial Recall Election Litigation
- Represented former Governor Gray Davis in a challenge to the qualification of the 2003 California gubernatorial recall election.
Carson – Dominguez Channel Pollution Cases, Lead Case No. 21STCV38929
- Kiesel Law currently serves as Liaison Counsel and represents over 10,000 individuals for the odor event that occurred in late 2021 where hydrogen sulfide and other toxic air pollutants were released from the Dominguez Channel, causing various injuries to residents.
Chatsworth Metrolink Collision Cases, L.A.S.C. Lead Case No. PC043703
- Appointed Plaintiffs’ Liaison Counsel (2008) in coordinated cases brought to recover for twenty-four deaths and over 100 injuries resulting from a massive train collision. Coordinated the resolution of the cases for the maximum recovery amount permitted by law.
The Clergy Cases I, II, & III, California JCCPs 4286, 4297, 4359
- KBL served as Lead Plaintiffs’ Liaison Counsel beginning in 2002, representing numerous individuals and their families in significant personal injury claims involving molestation at the hands of Catholic priests. Settlements totaled approximately $1 billion.
In Re Diet Drug Litigation, California JCCP 4032
- Appointed Co-Plaintiffs’ Liaison Counsel (2003). Claims arose from injuries resulting from the use of the diet drug Phen-Fen. Resolved.
Draucker Development and True Communication, Inc. v. Yahoo!, Inc., Case No. CV06-2737 JFW (Rcx) (C.D. Cal.)
- Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee, Member (2006) representing advertisers who sought to recover from an online search engine for breach of contract and unfair business practices.
In re Facebook Internet Tracking Litigation, Case No. 5:12-md-02314 (N.D. Cal.).
- Kiesel Law serves as Liaison Counsel for Plaintiffs in this proceeding alleging the interception of Facebook users’ internet communications and activity after logging out of Facebook. Court preliminarily approved settlement of $90 million for approximately 124 million users.
In Re Galvanized Steel Pipe Litigation, L.A.S.C. Case No. BC 174649
- Appointed Lead Counsel (2001). Class action involving construction defects. Resolved.
In re Hilton Hotels Corporation Shareholder Litigation, L.A.S.C. Case No. BC373765
- Appointed Co-Lead Counsel (2007). Class action on behalf of Hilton shareholders who sought to block a proposed merger with the Blackstone Group.
JUUL Labs Product Cases, California JCCP No. 5052, Lead Case No. 19STCV22935 (Los Angeles Superior Court)
- On February 18, 2020, Paul R. Kiesel was appointed Co-Lead Plaintiffs’ Counsel for the private plaintiffs in the JUUL JCCP. Currently there are approximately 2,500 cases pending in the JCCP, and more cases are continuing to be filed. The litigation is just now entering the discovery phase. The JUUL JCCP is currently working together with leadership in the JUUL MDL to litigate these cases.
Kan v. Toshiba America, Inc., L.A.S.C. Case No. BC327273
- Lead Counsel (2004) in class action brought to recover for distribution of faulty computers. Resolved.
Mikhail v. Toshiba America Incorporated, L.A.S.C. Case No. BC278163
- Appointed Lead Counsel (2002). Class action brought to recover for the distribution of faulty computers. Resolved.
In Re Northridge Earthquake Litigation
- Appointed Plaintiffs’ Liaison Counsel (2002). Numerous coverage lawsuits against State Farm Insurance, 21st Century Insurance, Farmers Insurance, and USAA Insurance Company. Resolved.
In Re Packard Bell Consumer Certified Class Action Litigation, L.A.S.C. Case No. BC 125671
- Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee, Member (1995). Product defect case. Resolved.
In re: Pellicano Cases, L.A.S.C. Lead Case No. BC316318
- Appointed (2008) and currently serving as Co-Lead Counsel. Cases involve wiretapping in violation of the California Penal Code.
Pilkington v. U.S. Search.com, L.A.S.C. Case No. BC234858
- Appointed Lead Counsel (2000). Involved a technically flawed online search facility that purported to provide adoptees and their biological parents with information about one another upon demand.
Porter Ranch, California JCCP No. 4861
- Appointed by the Court as Liaison Counsel for the private plaintiffs, which include the business class action complaints filed by local businesses for economic losses, individual class action complaints, and more than 38,000 individual Plaintiffs’ claims.
Privacy Class Actions
- A set of privacy class actions involving the recording of telephone conversations without consent in violation of the California Penal Code: Coleman v. First American Home Buyers Protection Corp, L.A.S.C. Case No. BC420436 (currently Lead Counsel);Greenberg v. E-Trade Financial Corporation, L.A.S.C. Case No. BC360152 (appointed Lead Counsel 2006) (settled); Mount v. Wells Fargo Home Mortgage, Inc., L.A.S.C. Case No. BC 395959 (currently Lead Counsel); Raymond v. Carsdirect.com, L.A.S.C. Case No. BC256282 (appointed Lead Counsel 2005, settled).
In Re Rio Hair Naturalizer Products Liability Litigation, MDL 1055 (E.D. MI)
- Appointed Co-Lead Counsel (1995). Product liability matter involving a hair straightening product which injured over 50,000 plaintiffs. Matter resolved as a limited fund, non-opt-out class action.
Salas v. Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc., et al., Case No. 2:15-cv-08629-FMO-E (C.D. Cal.)
- Appointed Trial Counsel (2022) for a certified class of more than 260,000 Toyota Camry owners relating to a moldy odor emanating from the air conditioning system.
In re The Securitas Security Services, JCCP 4460
- Represented the plaintiffs (2006) in a class action to recover for violations of California labor laws. Resolved.
Serrano v. City of Los Angeles, L.A.S.C. Case No. BC 144230
- Appointed Lead Counsel (1999). Multi-fatality products liability litigation. Resolved.
Silver v. Del Webb, Nevada Case. No. A437325
- Appointed Lead Counsel (2001). Certified class construction defect suit involving installation of faulty plumbing systems in new homes. Resolved.
Sonneveldt v. Mazda Motor of America, Inc., Case No. 01298-JLS-KES
- Local counsel for class action against Mazda Motor of America, Inc. and Mazda Motor Corporation regarding water pump defect.
In re Transient Occupancy Tax Cases, JCCP 4472
- Ongoing class action on behalf of California’s cities to recover unremitted occupancy taxes from certain online travel companies.
In Re Unocal Refinery Litigation Case No. C94-0414
- Toxic contamination of several communities. Resolved.
- Allocation Committee, Chair (1996). Responsible for development ofmethodology and plan of allocation for $80 million settlement on behalf ofapproximately 1,500 plaintiffs.
- Direct Action Steering Committee, Member (1996).
In Re Vioxx Cases, California JCCP 4247
- Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee, Member (2007), seeking to recover for deaths and injuries resulting from use of the drug Vioxx. Resolved.
Warren v. Toshiba America Incorporated, L.A.S.C. Case No. BC278163
- Appointed Lead Counsel in class action brought to recover for distribution of faulty computers. Resolved.
In re Wholesale Electricity Antitrust Cases I & II, JCCP 4204-00005 and 4204-00006
- Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee, Member (2000). Suit to recover damages from energy traders for unfair business practices.
Yaz, Yasmin and Ocella Contraceptive Cases, JCCP 4608
- Appointed and currently serving as Co-Liaison Counsel. Cases arise from deaths and injuries which occurred after ingestion of certain oral contraceptives.
Zachary et al. v. ARCO et al., L.A.S.C. Case No. BC 209944
- Appointed Lead Counsel (1999). Mass tort toxic refinery fire. Resolved.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles (Formerly the Los Angeles Trial Lawyers Association)
- Presidential Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Trial Bar (1991)
- Nominee, Trial Lawyer of the Year
Consumer Attorneys of California (Formerly the California Trial Lawyers Association)
- Presidential Award of Merit (1993)
- Named one of 500 Leading Lawyers in America (2009-2011)
Los Angeles Business Journal
- Included in list of Top Fifty Trial Lawyers
Los Angeles Daily Journal Law Business
- Named several times as one of the 100 Most Influential Attorneys in California
Los Angeles Magazine
- Super Lawyer (2001 to present); named one of the Top 100 Super Lawyers in Southern California (2010 to present)
- Peer Reviewed AV (highest rating)
Whittier College School of Law
- Honorary Doctor of Law (2005), Alumnus of the Year (1994),
- Americas 12 Techiest Lawyers (2013 to present)
Judicial Council of California
- Chief Justice Award for Exemplary Service and Leadership (2014)
Judicial Council of California
- Stanley Mosk Defender of Justice Award (2014)
American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
- Organization dedicated to the preservation of a fair and impartial judiciary and the right to trial by jury (2016)
America’s Top 100 Attorneys
- Recognized for outstanding service to the profession (2014 to present)
Judicial Council of the State of California
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Subcommittee (1991 to 2013)
- Civil and Small Claims Advisory Committee (appointed in 2007 by former Chief Justice of the California Supreme Court Ronald George; rulemaking body for California courts. Current member.)
- Complex Litigation Subcommittee (2003)
- Legislative Subcommittee (2003)
- Minimum Mediator Qualifications Subcommittee (Chair, 2007 to 2011)
California Employment Training Panel
- Appointed by California Governor Gray Davis (2003) to three-year term on six-member panel responsible for distributing approximately $100 million annually for employee training
P. Kiesel & S. Williams, California’s 2009 E-Discovery Laws: Text and Analysis (2009) (LexisNexis / Matthew Bender)
P. Lichtman, E. Matthai, R. Seabolt, California Pretrial Civil
Procedure (2003) (three volume LexisNexis / Matthew Bender practice guide)
P. Kiesel, P. Lichtman, E. Matthai, R. Seabolt, E. Grillo, California Civil Discovery (2003) (LexisNexis / Matthew Bender Practice Guide)
Los Angeles Daily Journal
- Quarterly technology column
- Frequent publications on technology and the law
Harvard Law School, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Guest lecturer (November 2011)
The USC Gould School of Law, Los Angeles, California
- Guest lecturer (2005 to present)
Continuing Legal Education
- Delivered more than 200 continuing legal education presentations to organizations including the Los Angeles County Bar Association, the Consumer Attorneys of California, the Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles, the Association of Southern California Defense Counsel, the American Association for Justice, the Orange County Bar Association, the Association of Business Trial Lawyers, the California League of Cities, Pepperdine Law School, Mealey’s, the Los Angeles Daily Journal, and Glasser Legal Works.
- Federal Judges Association 40th Anniversary Tenth Quadrennial Conference, 2022. Speaker on panel regarding virtual litigation for Juul Litigation.